Posted 20 hours ago

Draper 89713 Plasterer's Feather Edge,1.2 m x 100 mm

ZTS2023's avatar
Shared by
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Use a fine sandpaper and rub the edges of the chipped edge hard so it slopes gently to the middle all round. This will give a flatter appearance.

Dry lining however is usually done on the same type of stud wall but this time the boards are not plastered, they are just painted. Keeping the wall “dry” (apart from the paint of course).Most often these bumps etc are not very big at all but it really makes a difference to the finished job.

Sanding down these areas is much better achieved with a Detail sander, Mouse Sander or a Delta Sander. Using differing pressures on the tool will allow you to get the surface looking flat. Be sure to get a sander with a dust bag as the sanding dust gets everywhere. Feathering will not, in most cases, allow you to finish with a perfectly flat wall. If the bump is proud of the wall in the first place, as in our diagram above, then the best you can hope for is a surface, which to the naked eye, is flat. Please note, it does not very often make the chip invisible and some fine surface filler can be placed into the chip to be smoothed out with a paint scraper. If you are attempting to feather out with filler, use some All-Purpose filler which can be pre or ready mixed. This will help you feather out well as the filler will be of the same consistency every time you use it.

Materials Used for Feathering out Plaster, Filler or Dry Wall

I battened off the large wall into smaller managable sections, followed the tips on here for preparing the substrate and getting the mix right and found it went on well (thanks everyone). I can get the wall looking pretty decent with just my trowel, but obviouly still need to remove the odd high spot and fill in the low spots. You can see a caulking blade being used with an ideal feathering out material called Fill and Skim in our video on YouTube. For larger areas that need feathering out, for example when you have inserted a door frame and filled in round the edges which may not then be flush with the existing plaster finish, or where a new section of wall meets and older one, you might want to look at something called Fill and Skim. A plasterers feather edge is a specialist plastering hand tools that is used to create a smooth, even edge on plaster surfaces. There are really wide blades used for feathering out wider gaps or bumps in walls and these are called caulking blades but for the novice it might be best to use a normal (but wide) scraper and even a plasterers float or trowel.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment